Sunday, November 18, 2012

I Am That Girl & BeYOUtiful


While I was growing up, I was convinced that the perfect woman looked like the Bratz dolls I received for Christmas. With examples like this, including the actresses on screens and models on runways, we as a society are deeming that way others out side of that very small population are inferior in terms of beauty. I have made it my mission to become a part of the solution, and start with the problem. Bullying, suicide, and violence usually drive from low self-confidence. Many people are focusing on what happens after, but why not start with what drives a person to perform those acts. I want to speak out and talk to young girls about what it really means to be “beautiful.” I understand the irony in promoting “BeYOUtiful” as a beauty queen, but the pageants I participate in are honorable organizations that require women to be caring, non judgmental, poised, and well spoken. I have personally seen the difference pageants can make in a young woman’s self-confidence and her ability to present herself in interviews and in front of a large audience. I want girls to gain this confidence without having to step out on a stage; I want them to find the power within themselves to be comfortable in their own skin. With all this being said, I have officially began working on my project BeYOUtiful. I have been approved to begin my own chapter of I Am That Girl, a community inspiring girls to think for themselves, speak their truth, and discover their purpose. I will be working on both projects in conjunction and collaborate with young female community leaders. For any questions or want to join the movement, please feel free to comment below or email me at thatianadiaz@gmail.com

Check out http://www.iamthatgirl.com !

No comments:

Post a Comment