Sunday, March 13, 2011

Miss NY Latina 2011

And the Miss NY Latina 2011 is…. Thatiana Diaz! Once again, I am crowned and what an honor this is. I am representing my roots, my culture, my diversity. I was in shock. Sure, I have won a big pageant in the past but when you enter a new pageant, you are fresh and you are just another one of the contestants.

I must say that pageant weekend was a blast! On Friday, March 4, we arrived at the Laguardia Crowne Plaza Hotel for Check-In day. I arrived first and after waiting for the director and the rest of contestants to arrive, we settled into our rooms. My roommates were Diana (Manhattan) & Mairee (Queens). I love those girls and I was so happy to be roomed with them two. We clicked and had tons of laughs from the beginning. That night we all hung out and ordered Chinese food (yum!). We got our rest and the next day we practiced and had the rest of the day to ourselves. My roommates and I used some of the day to go around and ask the girls questions (for interview practice). That was very helpful and funny at the same time. In the night, we helped set up the ballroom for the following day and the girls taught me how to curl my hair. Yes, as a female and fellow pageant girl, I should know how to curl my hair but I do not so… *looks away* haha. The big day arrived, March 6; I woke up with such excitement. It was finally here! We were all packed up and took our belongings backstage in the ballroom. We rehearsed for quite some time and interview time came! That was the part I was most nervous for. I was first for Miss, I answered the questions as real as I can, and walked out positively. It was finally time to get ready for the big show! The show went great but it passed by so quickly. Top 5 was announced and I made it! I was also winner for Best Interview. Me?! To my amazement, yes me. Top 3 was announced and I made it there too. At this point, my goose bumps were in full force and my hands were shaking. Carol Duran was announced as first runner up which left my roommate Mairee and myself on stage holding hands waiting for the winner to be announced. And… my name was called. Of course, my mother went crazy again haha but I remember the first thing I did was point to God and thank him for this. It is all because of the faith and prayers of my loved ones that helped in getting me where I was. I went home that night and slept with my crown because I knew it would remind me that I was not dreaming when I woke up. I know it is corny but it was very surreal to me.

To the girls from the pageant, I am so happy to have met such wonderful ladies. It really did not feel like a competition at all with these girls, they made it lots of fun. We became a family and I really hope it is not the last I see of them. These girls have bright futures ahead of them. Take this pageant as a roadway for future success. Love you! To the people who showed me support whether through messages, posts, or showing up.. thank you for being there and showing me the love, it is very meaningful to me. & Congrats to Evelyn, Miss Teen NY Latina 2011!


Read my next blog entry to learn what my goals/preparations are for my reign as Miss New York Latina US 2011 :)


1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you honey, of what you've accomplished and how humble and genuine you are <3

    ReplyDelete