Friday, June 24, 2011

Pageants.. Why?

As I continue doing pageants, I learn more about the world and myself. I would have never thought I could grow as a person as much as I have but this is all thanks to the pageant world. No one believes me but I used to be the shy girl in the corner that let others boss me around and I never spoke my mind. Now I take charge and I am not afraid to speak in front of any crowd. Pageants should be considered a sport with the amount of effort you put into it. You not only have to prepare physically but mentally. You meet a group of girls & staff and you become a team, and most likely a family. You walk away with best friends. I still keep in contact with most girls I have met through pageants. People can see it on my Facebook wall that these girls have become close friends with me and I share amazing memories with each and every one of them. But back to the work… you have to get your body ready and eat healthy, not only to look good on stage but to be a role model for others to be healthy in every way possible. You get on stage and all fears of being in front of a group of people goes away or it becomes less scary because you have finally faced that fear. You go through interviews, which strengthens your communications skills and knowledge of everything going on in the world.

I was fourteen when I did my first pageant and I was forced to do it. I dreaded it at first but ended up loving it. It taught me sportsmanship as well. I was very upset when I did not get further than Top 25 but as time passed by, I noticed that it made me stronger. Top 25 for my first time?! I realized that was incredible when your competing with over 100 girls and you have no experience. I tried the second time and won; this showed me to never give up. As a titleholder, I grew as a person, as a woman. I figured out more about myself than I think I ever could. I made so many friends and connections. I made an influence. That is a why I continue doing pageants. Not because I want to go home and add crowns or trophies to my shelf or walk around like I am better than everyone else. I do them because I want to continue to grow and I want to continue making an influence. Being regular me I can make a difference but being a titleholder I can make a bigger impact. When I do pageants, I imagine I am a candidate going for presidency. It is almost the same thing. You work hard, you try to get supporters. All for what? To make a difference, to make a change. To show everyone what you can make out of your presidency/reign.

So this is to all the people who do not understand why people love or compete in pageants. I hope now you get a better understanding. To all my pageant people, continue on with the amazing work & making your impact.

Peace, Love, Pageantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment