Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Seventeen Magazine Intern

"This is too good to be true" is what I tell myself every morning as I walk onto the 17th Floor of the Hearst building. I pass the big glass doors that read Seventeen and make my way to my desk. I pass the editor in chief, Ann Shoket's office, pass Berna, her assistant, and Guillermo, my boss (the Bookings Editor). Every morning as I sit down, I take a deep breath and release, then go on to begin my day.

I have failed at writing about my time at Seventeen, especially since I have been there since December 2011. SUPER FAIL. However, better late than never.

My internship has honestly been one of the best experiences of my life. They have given me so many skills that I know I will be using in the future. I never know where to start to explain what Seventeen has given me. They have given me the confidence to speak up to important people and possibly give ideas. They have given me office skills that I never used to have (I was unable to fax a document or take professional phone calls). They have given me fast paced work experience, which I never thought I would be able to keep up with. They have given me modeling experience in the magazine... I know... crazy?! They have given me friendships. Most importantly, they have given me the assurance of my future career plans. Thanks to my time here, I am 100% sure that I would love to work at a publication after graduation. Yes, I still would love to be a television host but that's more of a recreational dream I would say.

So what do I do at Seventeen? I am an assistant to the Bookings Editor. I update model files, hold castings every Friday, organize files, send out call sheets, help in picking models (real girl models & signed models) for the issues, and help out in whatever way I can. Sometimes I even get the opportunity to go and scout like the actual show, which is totally cool because you are literally walking around making girls' dreams come true


My favorite part of working there? My favorite part definitely has to be calling the girls and letting them know that they will be in the shoot they were considered for. Girls sometimes freak out and thank me as if it was all up to me. To listen to a girl's dream come true of being in the magazine is absolutely great. I sometimes even get emails from the girls after the shoot letting me know how much fun it was and how grateful they are. I have kept those emails saved into a folder.

I wish I could stay at Seventeen but I have extended my stay, no really, they requested I stay during the summer after my spring term there and that's pretty special because you are only allowed one internship semester at the Hearst building. I have been very honored at my stay and have been hoping the end would not come around. So as the end fast approaches, I will be blogging more of my experience so keep your eyes out!

1 comment:

  1. Internships can really open up your mind to a lot of perspectives - so it's great to have gotten that experience. The first internship I had has empowered me to really set my focus and vision.

    It's also great to see you blogging. I started recently too because I believe that chronicling your experiences help you in internalizing the lessons and ideas that you have. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete